Thursday, April 2, 2009

My intentions

I belong to a smallish book club that meets about once a month for dinner, drinks, and book talk. We are: Amanda (yours truly), Nicole, Leanne, Jennifer, and Kerry-Lynn. There are no fancy rules: we each take turns picking our monthly selection, and we are free to choose any kind of book we want, although our general tendency is to choose fictional novels of the more substantial variety. Past picks include: Margaret Laurence's The Diviners, David Chariandy's Soucouyant, Gary Shteyngart's Absurdistan, Lloyd Jones's Mister Pip, Anne Enright's The Gathering, Richard Yates's Revolutionary Road, Leo Tolstoy's Anna Karenina, and Truman Capote's Breakfast at Tiffany's. 

This blog is essentially an extended book club forum. I'll try to transmit our various thoughts about each book, and the result will (hopefully) be a series of concise little reviews, with perhaps a comment or two about the Vancouver restaurants we savour during our literary travels. 

I will bastardize the proceedings slightly by posting about what I read between book club selections (it is my blog after all). I invite the other honourable members to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment